Skip to main content

Book Review: The Selection (The Selection #1), Kiera Cass

The Selection (The Selection, #1)

Title: The Selection
Series: The Selection Author: Kiera Cass
Published: 24/04/12, HarperTeen
Source: Netgalley
Format: Ebook
Rating: 4/5
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually she starts to question all the plans that she's made for herself - and realises that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

I really enjoyed The Selection.  To me, it was like a cross between The Hunger Games (without the fighting to the death) and Mean Girls with a bit of Cinderella mixed in.  I felt there was a lot of similarities to The Hunger Games. Even the castes seemed very similar to the Districts of The Hunger Games.  Even so, I couldn't help but really enjoy myself whilst reading and I couldn't stop turning pages.  It was a nice, easy quick read.

The events of The Selection are told from the point of view of America Singer. I felt that the plot was somewhat predictable, i.e. the whole girl torn between two very different boys.  However, despite this I felt that the plot moved forward at a nice pace and Kiera Cass dealt with a multitude of different characters very well.  Of course, being part of a series the story didn't completely wrap up at the end but I'm definitely going to read The Elite.

I also liked most of the characters, the exception being Celeste and wish we got to know more about them all.  But there is fairly a lot so I understand that wouldn't have been the easiest and many aren't actually featured in the story for very long.

I felt so sad for America when her heart is broken but she shows that she can be strong and work her way through the heartbreak.  She is probably the nicest girl to be Selected, apart from Marlee.  She doesn't speak down to her maids like the other girls and treats them as equals even though they are a caste below her.  Unlike the majority of the other girls, she knows what hardship and being hungry is.  However, I do find her name a bit silly.  She is also quite whiny and immature but what teenage girl isn't at at least some point.

I also really liked Maxon.  I think he has quite a naive quality to him due to probably having quite a sheltered life so far in regards to struggles of those in the lower castes.  I also found him quite adorable as well as quite witty in places.  I loved his interactions with America.  It was sort of like he just wanted someone to talk to.  There probably wasn't many other boys (or even girls) his age around the castle for him to interact with before.

I do like Aspen... BUT he is an idiot! For instance, he says to America:
"I'm supposed to be providing for you." 
UGHH!! I mean I wanted to strangle him for having such an old-fashioned view.  There is nothing wrong with a woman providing for a man.

I can't wait to read more of America, Maxon and Illia.  I really want to find out what is in store for them next especially in regards to the rebels.  So it's safe to say I will be reading The Elite as soon as I can.

Although The Selection is a dystopian novel, there is a lot of romance involved therefore I would recommend it to teenage girls who are fans of romantic novels.  It is a really easy read and I believe it could potentially be enjoyed by older girls but the language is fairly simple and there is a lot of whining and bitchiness to the story.




Follow me via GoodreadsFacebookBloglovin and Pinterest (though I’m not very good at using it) and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com. 


Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. I liked this one too! And although Aspen's sexist attitude is annoying, I think that's a part of the world building! Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, I do get what you mean about the world building. I really just want to find out more about the world and the characters now!

      Delete
  2. Great review!! I didn't really feel like it was very similar to The Hunger Games, but I can see where you would get that from. Aspen got on my nerves too... You definitely have to finish the series!! The Heir is coming out this month!! :D

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes I will definitely be finishing the series! I've already started looking for physical copies of the books at a reasonable price to display on my bookcase haha!

      Delete
  3. I still haven't read this book but soon hopefully. I feel so far behind! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel so far behind when it comes to reading popular books! It always seems to take me months, if not years, to get around to seeing what the fuss is about!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Leaving Me

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I wouldn't mind Santa leaving under my tree.

Book Beginnings, The Friday 56 and Feature and Follow (3 April)

Book Beginnings is a meme hosted every Friday by  Rose City Reader  where you share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.  Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.