Skip to main content

Book Review: The Stars Never Rise, Rachel Vincent

The Stars Never Rise (Untitled Series, #1)

Title: The Stars Never Rise
Series: Untitled #1
Author: Rachel Vincent
Published: 09/06/2015, Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Pages: 368
Source: Netgalley and Delacorte Books
Format: Ebook
Rating: 5/5
Sixteen-year-old Nina Kane should be worrying about her immortal soul, but she's too busy trying to actually survive. her town's population has been decimated by soul-consuming demons, and souls are in short supply. Watching over her younger sister, Mellie, and scraping together food and money are all that matters. The two of them are a family. They gave up on their deadbeat mom a long time ago. When Nina discovers that Mellie is keeping a secret that threatens their very existence, she'll do anything to protect her. Because in New Temperance, sins are prosecuted as crimes b the brutal Church and its army of black-robed exorcists. And Mellie's sin has put her in serious trouble To keep them both alive, Nina will need to trust Finn, a fugitive with deep green eyes who has already saved her life once and who might just be an exorcist. But what kind of exorcist wears a hoodie? Wanted by the church and hunted by dark forces, Nina knows she can't survive on her own. She needs Finn and his group of rogue friends just as much as they need her.

Wow! This book is soooo good! It just got better and better. I admit that although I did like it to begin with, I kinda thought it was only okay. But the more I read... OH MY GOD! Give me more!! It's such a new (to me) take on dystopia. I grew to love everything about The Stars Never Rise.

The Stars Never Rise is told in first person from Nina's point-of-view. In all honesty, the story was somewhat predictable but I loved it anyway. I mean it is obvious what Mellie's secret was but it's revealed so early in the novel that it doesn't matter at all. However, what I didn't predict was Finn. He is such a unique character.

I also really liked the pace of the story - it wasn't overly fast but it did progress quickly. I also really liked the world in which the story is set. We are given insights into the history of New Temperance and this gives us an idea of why things are the way they are. And it completely makes sense.  I look forward to finding out more about the world in the next book whenever it is released.

I really liked Nina. She does have what appears to be the typical female dystopian protagonist personality. She is really strong and brave as well as being responsible and caring. I find her quite similar to characters such as Katniss (The Hunger Games) and also, in a way, America (The Selection). But this is probably a result of the worlds that each of these characters grew up in. I still loved Nina for her personality. I liked the relationship she has with Mellie. She is very a parental figure even though there is only a year between them.

Finn... I LOVE FINN! He's just so kind and brave and genuine and I WANT HIM!! He is such a unique character and I don't want to give anything away but I feel so sorry for him. I can tell he just wants to be normal especially for Nina. But it just doesn't seem like it's possible.

I also really liked the secondary characters, including Finn's gang of exorcists and Nina's sister. They all have such different personalities and skills. They each have their own strengths and can use them between each other to work as an absolutely kick ass team.

I loved The Stars Never Rise. It is my first Rachel Vincent book and I can definitely say I will be reading more from her. I especially look forward to the next book in this series. If you love YA dystopia and/or romance then you should definitely give The Stars Never Rise a go.




Follow me via GoodreadsFacebookTwitterBloglovin, and Pinterest.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. I read the stars never rise, and loved it!! I have read some other books by her and the shifters series is my favorite so far.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Leaving Me

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I wouldn't mind Santa leaving under my tree.

Book Beginnings, The Friday 56 and Feature and Follow (3 April)

Book Beginnings is a meme hosted every Friday by  Rose City Reader  where you share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.  Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.