Skip to main content

Book Review: The Elite (The Selection #2), Kiera Cass

The Elite (The Selection, #2)

Title: The Elite
Series: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Published: 23/04/2013, HarperCollins Children's Books
Pages: 326
Source: Netgalley
Format: Ebook
Rating: 4/5
The Selection get fierce as rival stake their claim on the price. Six girls one life-changing prize... America Singer will leave her predestined life for a world of glamour and luxury, if she wins... But surviving The Selection is tough. Rivals are battling to become Prince Maxon's bride as the threat of rebel violence beyond the palace walls escalates into war. Only six girls are left and sworn friendships are tested to breaking point. America's feelings for Maxon grow stronger, but she suspects darker mysteries in his royal past. With ex-lover Aspen waiting for her in the shadows, where do her royalties truly lie?

I finally got around to reading The Elite! It seems like ages since I read The Selection but it's only been two months. And my God! The Elite did not disappoint!

Once again The Elite is told from the point of view of America. This is brilliant as it gives us the perfect insight into her struggles with her feelings. Not only do you see her feelings for Maxon grow but we also see how hurt and confused she is when Maxon spends time with the other girls, especially Kriss. At this point she desperately wants to be able to take on the enormous task of being Princess. She is just so hard on herself especially when everyone else believes she can do it.

I love that we learn slightly more about Illea's history and why the castes are in place. It adds a great deal to the story and answers a lot of questions particularly in relation to the rebels. It also gives more depths to the characterisation as those of different castes have different beliefs, wants and needs. There were also a lot more rebel attacks and involving books! Those rebels sound like my kind of people.

I also love that Maxon was beginning to open up more to America and telling her his darkest secret. It shows that he trusts her and his love for her is clear as day. However, I didn't like Maxon being with the other girls - it was truly heartbreaking for America to witness. But of course that is the whole nature of the "game" and it is obvious he is doing so to keep his father happy. However, it also shows that he is getting so much better at interacting with girls, especially compared to what he was like at the beginning.

But Aspen... I just wanted him to go away! I mean I did like him in The Selection but he broke America's heart and expects her just to forgive him and want him back. No! Can't happen. Just find a nice girl and let America get on with her life already.

On a completely different note, Maxon's father appears to be a distant relative of the Malfoy's:

"Red hair, a bit pale, and I suppose a decent figure."

I was expecting "you must be a Weasley" to come next and I confess that I was slightly gutted.

As with The Selection, I would definitely recommend The Elite. If you haven't read them, read them! And now The One is calling for me and I really must answer.

COYER Scavenger Hunt #46: Celebrate 2015 - read a book that's number in the series can be made from the numbers in 2015



Follow me via GoodreadsFacebookBloglovin and Pinterest and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com. 

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. I'm glad that you enjoyed this one! I loved The Selection but I still haven't gotten around to reading this one.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should finish the series, they are all so good!

      Delete
  2. I've completed the series and I've read The Heir already. You definitely need to continue reading this series. I wasn't sure what to expect with The Heir, but it was a great addition to the series. P.S. I also wanted Aspen to go away. Team Maxon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It is a really good series. Just have The Heir to go! Hopefully won't be too long until I can read it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Leaving Me

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I wouldn't mind Santa leaving under my tree.

Book Beginnings, The Friday 56 and Feature and Follow (3 April)

Book Beginnings is a meme hosted every Friday by  Rose City Reader  where you share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.  Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.