Skip to main content

Book Review: Allegiant (Divergent #3), Veronica Roth

Allegiant (Divergent, #3)

Title: Allegiant
Series: Divergent #3
Author: Veronica Roth
Published: 01/12/2013, HarperCollins
Pages: 526
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Rating: 4/5
The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered - fractures b violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she's known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties and painful memories.
But Tris's new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. explosive new truths chance the hearts of those she loves. And once again Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature - and of herself - while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice and love.

Once again Allegiant starts off almost directly from Insurgent's last scene - a few days later at the most. Allegiant begins with Tris's imprisonment and follows her as she plans to leave the city with Tobias and a select few to help the people over the fence.

Unlike Divergent and Insurgent, Allegiant is not just told from Tris's perspective. It was also told, on an alternating basis, through the perspective of Tobias. This was brand new and upon finishing Allegiant I can really understand why Veronica Roth writes the story this way. I actually quite liked being in Tobias's head. It wasn't the same as Tris, but it was a totally new glimpse into Tobias's hidden personality and feelings.

I found the vast majority of Allegiant pretty unpredictable APART from one soul-destroying event at near the end that I prayed wasn't going to happen. This was not something I wanted to read first thing on a Sunday morning. I cried so much and the tears were not pretty. I felt like my heart had been ripped out. Why? Just WHY?

I also found Allegiant to be quite a bit slower than Insurgent. The story started off at a fairly fast pace then slowed down around the middle before the climax. There was quite a bit of waiting around and planning the next move compared to Insurgent where everything was bam bam bam one after the other. There also weren’t as many twists to the story, other than the gut-wrencher. However, the ending was one hell of a climax to the story and just so bittersweet for everyone involved (and reading).

Tris also gets her "act" together in Allegiant and finally holds and shoots a gun again. Though she is still quite unsure of them, but who can blame her to be honest. She continues to show her bravery as well as her capacity to forgive over and over again right up to the climax. We also see a jealous streak within her when it comes to girls speaking to Tobias. I feel this makes her more relatable as a young girl who is still emotionally immature when it comes to relationships. There are continued problems within the relationship, but Tris and Tobias finally start to communicate and be honest with each other. I feel like I can go on and on about how much I like the characters but I would also be repeating myself so I'm just going to say that I still absolutely love Tobias even though he can be a bit of an arse.

I also feel that Veronica Roth has definitely been taking lessons from J.K. Rowling! The number of deaths in this series is unreal! And it's only three books!

I would definitely recommend Allegiant and the whole Divergent trilogy. They are definite must-reads and I wish I had read them sooner. I'm planning to read Four this week too and I hope to see more by Veronica Roth soon as I will definitely be checking her future work out.




Follow me via GoodreadsFacebookTwitterBloglovin and Pinterest and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Leaving Me

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I wouldn't mind Santa leaving under my tree.

Book Beginnings, The Friday 56 and Feature and Follow (3 April)

Book Beginnings is a meme hosted every Friday by  Rose City Reader  where you share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.  Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.