Skip to main content

Book Review: This Secret We're Keeping, Rebecca Done

This Secret We're Keeping

Title: This Secret We're Keeping
Author: Rebecca Done
Published: 07/04/2016, Penguin
Pages: 480
Source: Netgalley
Format: Ebook
Rating: 3.5/5
A pupil and a teacher. Is it ever right to break the rules? Jessica Hart has never forgotten Matthew Landley. After all, he was her first love when she was fifteen years old. But he was also her school maths teacher, and their forbidden affair ended in scandal with his arrest and imprisonment. Now seventeen years later, Matthew returns to Norfolk, with a new identity and a long-term girlfriend and a young daughter, who know nothing of what happened before. Yet when he runs into Jessica, neither of them can ignore the emotional ties that bind them together. With so many secrets to keep hidden, how long can Jessica and Matthew avoid the dark mistakes of their past imploding in the present. From debut author Rebecca Done, This Secret We're Keeping is a powerful and provocative novel about the ties which can keep up together - or tear us apart.

This Secret We're Keeping is a strong debut novel that I just couldn't put down. It's an emotional rollercoaster and a fairly quick read for its size, about a major taboo subject - a romantic relationship between a student and teacher and the aftermath years later.

This Secret We're Keeping is told both in the present from Jess's point of view (the student) and through a series of flashbacks in Will/Matthew's point of view (the teacher). I enjoyed both main characters and they felt real, although I didn't feel too attached to them. Probably because I've never been in their situation. I felt that they were both rather impulsive, in the current timeline and the flashbacks. And even though Will was a teacher, he was still quite young and in some ways still immature. He could relate quite well to his students. I did feel that Jess was slightly more mature for her age, which was probably a product of living with an alcoholic mum.

As to the predictability of the story, I felt that This Secret We're Keeping was a bit of a mixed bag. Some parts I saw coming a mile off whereas other were so unexpected they practically gave me whiplash. There are so many secrets revolving around the relationship, both directly and indirectly.

I was a tad confused during the final few chapters. I have an idea of what happened but it did jump around a bit. However, I have a very strong suspicion that this was just a formatting issue in the ARC I received and probably isn't in the finished version.

I'm also not too sure how I feel about the ending. Yes, it is a happy(ish) and nice ending with nothing wrong with it at all, but it just didn't end the way I hoped it would so I was a tad disappointed.

This Secret We're Keeping is a well done debut for Rebecca Done. The story and writing handles such a taboo subject so well and I would definitely recommend it to fans of contemporary. I look forward to seeing more by this author.




Follow me via GoodreadsFacebookTwitterBloglovin, and Pinterest.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books Recently Added to My TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I've recently added to my TBR.

Top Ten Tuesday: Unread 2016 Releases

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is my ten 2016 releases I meant to read but didn't get to.