Skip to main content

Book Review: Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Dexter #1), Jeff Lindsay

Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Dexter, #1)

Title: Darkly Dreaming Dexter
Series: Dexter #1
Author: Jeff Lindsay
Published: 2005, Orion Books
Pages: 275
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Rating: 5/5
Dexter Morgan appears to be the perfect gentleman. He leads to a normal, quiet life working as a forensic officer for the Miami Police. He has a nice, shy girlfriend and is liked by her young children. But Dexter has a secret hobby. He's an accomplished serial killer.
So far he's killed dozens of people and has never been caught, because he knows exactly how to dispose of the evidence. And there are those who would rather he wasn't caught at all, because Dexter is a serial killer with a difference. He only kills the city's bad guys.
Then Dexter's well-organised life is thrown into chaos. Another serial killer is invading his territory - and he wants Dexter to come out and play...

Words have failed me... This book... This wonderful book is one of the best damn books I have read in a long time. I just want to read every Dexter book on after the other now!

Darkly Dreaming Dexter is unlike any other book I have read. I sort of knew the basic story because of the TV show, though I've not watched it yet, friends raved about it. Would it be weird to say that I thought it was a fun read? Because I really did find it fun! And quick! I devoured this book.

Darkly Dreaming Dexter is set in Florida, with a good portion set within the police station, and various crime scenes. An obvious choice really when the main character works in forensics, though I don't know Florida too well so can't say how realistic the setting is in that aspect.

I can't get over how much I love Dexter! He's a serial killer, therefore, he shouldn't deserve these feelings. But he is just so adorably charming and charismatic. His logic behind his actions is second to none. His humour is just the driest and brilliant. He had me giggling away to myself so much. I also loved his little soft spot for kids, it's kind of cute. Is it weird that I sort of consider him another book boyfriend? Cause I really do.

The way the story is told from Dexter's perspective makes him so incredibly human, too. Even when he denies having any feelings, it's obvious that he does. Especially for his sister.

I found Darkly Dreaming Dexter very unpredictable. True, at times I was confused, but Dexter was confused too so it's really all part of the story. The ending was just so dramatic and climatic. I completely did not expect the twist at all, even though the clues are totally there. It just completely took me by surprise. And the threads all ties up fairly nicely, so that's an added bonus.

In short, I absolutely loved Darkly Dreaming Dexter, and I was captivated by Dexter. I cannot wait to get my hands on Dearly Devoted Dexter. I have my fingers crossed this series will be a new favourite.




Follow me via GoodreadsFacebookTwitterBloglovin and Pinterest.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. As a huge fan of the TV show, I have wanted to read this book for quite some time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only ever seen half of the first episode, but it's definitely on my to watch list. And yes, you really do need to read this!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books Recently Added to My TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I've recently added to my TBR.

Top Ten Tuesday: Unread 2016 Releases

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is my ten 2016 releases I meant to read but didn't get to.