Skip to main content

Book Review: Unnatural Deeds, Cyn Balog

Unnatural Deeds

Title: Unnatural Deeds
Author: Cyn Balog
Published: 01/11/2016, Sourcebooks Fire
Pages: 288
Source: Netgalley
Format: Ebook
Rating: 4/5
Secrets. Obsession. Murder. Victoria is about to discover just how dangerous it can be to lose yourself. 
Victoria Zell doesn't fit in, but she's okay with that. All she needs is the company of her equally oddball boyfriend, Andrew. She doesn't care what anyone else thinks... until magnetic, charming, mysterious Z comes into her life, and she starts lying to everyone she knows in an effort to unravel his secrets.
And then something terrible happens. Someone is dead and it's time for Victoria to come clean. Interspersed with news clippings and police interviews, Victoria tells her story to Andrew, revealing her dark, horrible secrets... secrets that have finally come back to haunt her.

Unnatural Deeds is a YA mystery told with a unique spin. It's a very quick read and I just didn't want to put this book down once I got going.

Unnatural Deeds is set in the small town of Duchess where everyone knows everyone. This is further highlighted by the fact that Victoria attends the smaller of the two schools. I think this shows just how different Victoria is to her classmates and peers.

Unnatural Deeds is told by Victoria in the second person narrative as if she were telling her story to her boyfriend, Andrew. I felt that this makes the story slightly more unpredictable. The reader only knows what Victoria wants to tell Andrew.

The plot is definitely an unusual one. It's told from after the incident and the reader has to work out exactly what has happened. It's clear that there is something not quite right when it came to Victoria, especially in the way she became so obsessed with Z so quickly.

I did not expect the huge plot twist near the end at all. I'm still trying to comprehend it. The story just went in the completely opposite direction to what I thought it would. Hats off to the author for that! I was shocked! However, this makes a lot of sense when it came to how both Victoria and those around her acted.

I really enjoyed Unnatural Deeds, even if it was completely unexpected. I would definitely recommend this book to fans of YA mystery and I'm definitely going to keep my eye out for more by Cyn Balog too.




Follow me via GoodreadsTwitterBloglovinInstagram, and Pinterest.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Book Beginnings, The Friday 56 and Feature and Follow (3 April)

Book Beginnings is a meme hosted every Friday by  Rose City Reader  where you share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.  Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Leaving Me

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I wouldn't mind Santa leaving under my tree.