Skip to main content

Book Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses #1), Sarah J. Maas

A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)

Title: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses #1
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Published: 05/2015, Bloomsbury
Pages: 419
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Rating: 4.5/5
Feyre's survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill - the forest where she lives is a cold, bleak place in the long winter months. So when she spots a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. But to do so, she must kill the predator and killing something so precious comes at a price...
Dragged to a magical kingdom for the murder of a faerie, Feyre discovers that her captor, his face obscured by a jewelled mask, is hiding far more than his piercing eyes would suggest. Feyre's presence at the court is closely guarded, and she begins to learn why, her feelings for him turn from hostility to passion and the faerie lands become an even more dangerous place. Feyre must fight to break an ancient curse, or she will lose him forever.

Once again I'm stuck asking myself why it has taken me so damn long to read a book! A Court of Thorns and Roses was a truly fantastic read and I want more. This book reminded me why I need to read more fairy tale retellings - I nearly always love them. And I especially loved this one, even though Beauty and the Beast is the fairy tale I know least about (need to fix this). And for being a fairly big book, I read A Court of Thorns and Roses in just a couple of days (including lots of breaks for life getting in the way!).

A Court of Thorns and Roses is set in the land of Prythian and I found the world building to be simply spot on. I could definitely imagine the places described so clearly in my head and, to me, it was just magical.

I really grew to like all the characters. Feyre doesn;t start off to likeable, but she's had a tough life so it's no wonder she's a bit prickly and even angry with the world. But I felt her time in Prythian really softened her a bit and she became so much more likeable for it. I think she kind of started to see the beauty in life again, especially when she started painting again. I just loved that she is so strong and doesn't take any nonsense from anyone. She can stand her ground which is something I admire in anyone.

Tamlin is just great. He is just so kind and compassionate, yet there is still an air of mystery surrounding him. And, although Feyre is his captive, he was never mean to her. He treats her with respect, if anything. I also adored that their relationship was such a slow burner. A Court of Thorns and Roses takes place over several months (if not longer) and there was no insta-love at all. Hallelujah!

The secondary characters were all fantastic too and added so much to the story. They each have their own back stories and I loved how they intertwine with the main plot. I especially loved Lucien and Alis. However, there was a point in the story where I wasn't sure if a certain character could be trusted and I suppose I will just have to wait to find out how it all ends with them.

A Court of Thorns and Roses is told from Feyre's perspective. I thought this was great at showing just how she softens a bit, as well as how her opinion of faeries changes. I also did not find her story too predictable at all, though that may be because I don't know Beauty and the Beast too well.

The plot is also so intricate with so many little details and questions. Many are answered as the story progresses, yet I can't wait to read A Court of Mist and Fury to find out more. I didn't find the plot too logical, to begin with, but the way it was twisted made it make complete sense. However, I did find the plot speed quite unusual (which is why this gets a 4.5 instead of 5). The first 70% or so of the story was fairly slow and sort of focussed on the building of both the world and relationships. Whereas, the final 30% was so fast with so much action packed in. I was on the edge of my seat. And the story ended with such a climatic finale and surprisingly no real cliffhanger.

I think I'm about the last person ever to read A Court of Thorns and Roses, but that being said, I would definitely still recommend this to all fans of fantasy who like a nice intricate plot with lots of detail. This is my first Sarah J. Maas read and it definitely won't be my last. In fact, I already own a copy of A Court of Mist and Fury and it's just sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read as soon as I can.




Follow me via GoodreadsTwitterBloglovinInstagram, and Pinterest.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you loved this!! I have to admit, I am DYING to see what you think of A Court of Mist and Fury now... I agree that the pacing was kind of strange, but on second read I really loved the speed at which it moved. Great review!

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm absolutely dying to read A Court of Mist and Fury too! I'm thinking some time in January hopefully. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought the pacing was strange.

      Delete
  2. I've not read the second book (yet, I'll get there around the time the next book comes out probably) but I'll be interested to see what you think after you've read the second book. I know a lot of bloggers loved it and then some were up in arms about it. I completely agree with you on pacing with this one. I got an ARC of it way back when this first came out and really struggled reading it because it took so long for the action to happen. I kept wondering if it was just me... it wasn't.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Top Ten Tuesday: Unread 2016 Releases

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is my ten 2016 releases I meant to read but didn't get to.

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books Recently Added to My TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I've recently added to my TBR.