Skip to main content

Book Review: Cruel Crown (Red Queen #0.1-0.2), Victoria Aveyard

Cruel Crown (Red Queen, #0.1-#0.2)

Title: Cruel Crown
Series: Red Queen #0.1-0.2
Author: Victoria Aveyard
Published: 21/01/2016, Orion
Pages: 208
Source: Netgalley
Format: Ebook
Rating: 2/5
Two women on either side of the Silver-Red divide tell the stories no one else knows.
Discover the truth of Norta's bloody past in these two revealing prequels to #1 New York Times bestseller Red Queen.
Also includes an exclusive excerpt of the hotly anticipated second book in the Red Queen series! Glass Sword transports readers to the world of Silver tyranny, a Red dawn rising, and one girl's resolve to break down the system that will hold her back no longer.
Queen Song
Queen Coriane, first wife of King Tiberias, keeps a secret diary - how else can she ensure that no one at the palace will use her thoughts against her? Coriane recounts her heady courtship with the crown prince, the birth of a new prince, Cal, and the potentially deadly challenges that lay ahead for her in royal life.
Small Scars
Diana Farley was raised to be strong, but tasked with planting the seeds of rebellion in Norta is a tougher job than expected. As she travels the land recruiting black market traders, smugglers, and extremists for her first attempt at an attack on the capital, she stumbles upon a connection that may prove to be the key to the entire operation - Mare Barrow.

Cruel Crown is a collection of two prequel stories to Red Queen. They were a nice insight into the Red Queen world and it was nice to find out that little bit more of information.

Queen Song, although very short, was a nice insight into Queen Coraine and her life. I wish there was slightly more to her story, but I really liked Coraine regardless. I liked how she questioned things, especially how Reds are treated. I just thought her story was so tragic and it really was cruel. This short story shows just how much of a horrid person Queen Elara really is.

Steel Scars was an okay insight into the Scarlet Guard. It's set just before the events of Red Queen up until the Queenstrial. It was nice to read more about Shade, Mare's brother. However, I did find the plot a bit slow and it dragged. It also took me a while to understand the correspondence between the Scarlet Guard members, as well as the time jumps. It left me a bit confused.

As I've said, Cruel Crown is a nice addition to Red Queen. However, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would and, in all honesty, I would have been fine not reading it in hindsight. I did find Queen Song far more interesting the Steel Scars too. On a plus side, I do now want to read Glass Sword as soon as possible!




Follow me via GoodreadsTwitterBloglovin, and Pinterest.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. I'm curious about these stories, though I've heard some really mixed reviews. I might still check them out :) Great review!

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have seen the mixed reviews. I think with these stories there's not really much inbetween, you either really enjoy them or you don't. I hope you do get to check them out though.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Book Beginnings, The Friday 56 and Feature and Follow (3 April)

Book Beginnings is a meme hosted every Friday by  Rose City Reader  where you share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.  Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Leaving Me

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I wouldn't mind Santa leaving under my tree.